Digby Area Recreation Commission (2 positions Available)
Weymouth Consolidated After School BAP Program Lead
Weymouth Consolidated After School BAP Program Assistant
This is a partnership program facilitated by Digby Area Recreation Commission on behalf of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage (“CCTH”) at Weymouth Consolidated School.
Reporting to the Nova Scotia BAP After School Program Lead, the Program Assistant position will work within a team atmosphere to provide a safe and inclusive environment, a healthy snack and engaging indoor and outdoor physical/movement activities for children aged 4-12. A cohort of twenty-four children will be led by two Program Facilitators.
Objectives of the Weymouth After School Program:
Increase access to affordable, safe, quality active play programming for children and their families.
- Increase physical literacy and movement in program participants.
- Increase opportunities recreation practitioners to enhance their awareness and skills related to movement, physical literacy, and outdoor play.
Lead Position Summary:
- The Program Lead is expected to work within established guidelines of DARC and within the policy, procedures, and regulations to deliver the planned quality afterschool program.
- Responsible for the coordination and delivery of the program through the creation and implementation of the daily program and menu (snack) planning.
- Works in collaboration with the Program Assistant by providing them with daily instruction, guidance, and support regardingthe implementation of the overall program.
- Develops plans and leads students in a variety of settings and delivers a variety of indoor and outdoor games and activities.
Assistant Position Summary:
- The BAP Program Assistant receives daily instruction from the Program Lead in the implementation of program plans, menu plans and delivery.
- Works in collaboration with the Program Lead to assist in the creation of daily programming plans and/or activities.
- Leads students in a variety of settings and assists in delivering a variety of indoor and outdoor activities games and activities.
Degree or diploma in Early Childhood Education/ Child and Youth Studies, Community Recreation and/or extensive related experience in a childcare or recreation setting.
You have a valid First Aid Certificate (with a minimum of Emergency First Aid) and CPR C from a recognized provider, Vulnerable Sector Check, and a Child Abuse Registry Check.
- You are knowledgeable about planning inclusive programs that help nurture the development of the whole child as a unique individual (physical, psychological, and social wellbeing), including being a passionate believer and implementer of inclusive practices.
- You are willing and fully capable of having fun and creating playful opportunities in a primarily outdoor setting with children of diverse stages of childhood development.
- You are an enthusiastic, organized, motivated self-starter who can adapt quickly with creative problem-solving skills.
- You are willing to learn and be a part of a dynamic team of childcare and recreational professionals who work with kindness, cooperation, and compassion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Program Facilitators must plan and provide developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive activities which promote full participation of all children based on their interests, with opportunities for child-initiated experiences.
- Program Facilitators must role model and engage children in active play and physical literacy development. Children should spend a total of 90 minutes moving actively, with emphasis on energetic play. This must include a minimum of 60 minutes outside throughout all seasons.
- Children must not participate in screen time during the program and avoid sedentary activities for extended periods of time.
- Follow procedures regarding communication with parents, ensuring confidentiality and professionalism. Release children only to authorized people.
- Ensure that children are always supervised and in accordance with the Department of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage standards and guidelines.
Work Status: Part-Time Position Hours of Work: Monday-Friday, 1:45pm-5:45pm, 20 hours per week.Program is scheduled to be offered between April – June 2024. Resuming September to June 2025.
Work Location: Weymouth Consolidated School
Salary Range: $18.00-$22 per hour (based on experience and training)
Resume and Cover Letter may be submitted to:
In Person: Digby Area Recreation Office: 27 Shreve Street, Digby. (2nd floor, Digby Arena)
Resumes and cover letter must be submitted with at least two references. Please put the job title in the subject heading of your email and merge your cover letter and resume into one PDF document. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. This competition will remain open until the position is filled.